EERA Summer School 2023: "Participatory approaches in educational research"
For doctoral and advanced research students
Orgs.: EERA, CIIE, CIEd, CIDTFF and CEAD and SPCE
Venue: Porto, FPCEUP
26–30 June 2023
Applications: 15 November 2022 - 31 January 2023
The European Educational Research Association (EERA), the Centre for Research and Intervention in Education (CIIE) of the University of Porto, the Center for Research in Education (CIEd) of the University of Minho, the Research Centre on Didactics and Technology in the Education of Trainers (CIDTFF) of the University of Aveiro and the Adult Education and Community Intervention Research Centre (CEAD) of the University of Algarve, with SPCE – Sociedade Portuguesa de Ciências da Educação (Portuguese Educational Research Association), are pleased to announce the 2023 EERA Summer School "Participatory approaches in educational research" which will be held from 26 to 30 June 2023 at the University of Porto, Portugal.
THEME AND AIMS
The EERA Summer School 2023 "Participatory approaches in educational research" aims to support doctoral students interested in bringing participants' voices and actions to the core of educational research. This implies a diversification of research methods, but also a careful consideration of the ethics of research, and a continuous critical vigilance over the power of educational research and researchers. The Summer School will create spaces to share, discuss and debate, allowing emerging researchers to interact with each other and with more experienced researchers, taking their own ideas as the point of departure for collaborative joint learning regarding the practices, the problems, and the challenges of participatory research-in-the-making.
Tutors will include members from the four research centres – CIIE, CIEd, CIDTFF and CEAD – as well as international researchers who will share their expertise and experiences on a wide range of educational and social issues across all education sectors, from early years to higher education and adult education.
EERA Summer School 2023 includes a four-day research experience programme in Porto, one of Portugal’s most beautiful and vibrant cities. CIIE (and the Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences of the University of Porto, where CIIE is hosted) is delighted to welcome doctoral students to join our dynamic research team. Combining academic rigour, research excellence and innovation, CIIE develops high-quality research on key issues of educational and social change, in order to broaden the role of education in promoting equity, inclusion and active citizenship.
The Summer School also includes a field trip to the University of Aveiro (UA), where the Research Centre on Didactics and Technology in the Education of Trainers (CIDTFF) is located. Visiting the University of Aveiro will allow participants to get in touch with educational research developed at the CIDTFF, hosted by the Department of Education and Psychology of the UA. CIDTFF's mission is anchored in the responsibility of research in education: to produce knowledge that will foster educated, qualified, and critical citizens, and to the creation of a better world. Interaction with senior researchers with experience in participatory research will provide the doctoral students valuable insights about the design of their own research projects. Here you can learn about the history and sites to see in Aveiro: https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/visit-aveiro
Who can apply and what does the application include?
Applicants are doctoral and research students who primarily come from or study in EERA's member countries. Their research must relate to educational research. The focus of the summer school is on developing research from scratch: from an idea to an actual project. Preferably the participant should be a PhD/Doctoral student in the first or second year of his/her studies in order to most benefit from the summer school. In some cases, people who already have their PhD can attend the summer school – they should explain in their application how the the summer school would support them in their further research.
The application process includes:
- Abstract of your research (objectives and research questions of your PhD/Doctoral project; conceptual framework; intended methodology, methods, instruments; conclusions, expected outcomes or findings; motivation; references)
- Letter of endorsement from a current or former supervisor or other senior staff member
- Applications can be made beginning 15 November 2022: www.conftool.net/eerss2023/
- Application deadline: 31 January 2023
The Summer School will be held in English.
The fee for the Summer School 2023 is 308 € for students currently living in a High GDP country, 209 € for students currently living in a Low GDP country or 165 € (local students or students with self-organised accommodation). Most participants will share a double room with another participant. A single room can be requested. The cost for a single room is 473 € (High GDP students) or 374 € (Low GDP students).
Please note that the crucial factor for the reduced Low GDP fee is not the country of origin but the country of residence.
As grounds for determing the GDP status of a country, EERA used the World bank data, GDP per capita. The threshold for low-GDP country status is an annual per capita GDP which is lower than 71% of the GDP of the total EU.
You can find the list of low GDP countries here.
- The registration of participation is binding.
- The participation fees are owed upon registration.
- If you pay via bank transfer, you may incur banking charges for international transactions. Please make sure that you cover these charges so that EERA receives full payment.
- Participation is not guaranteed until full payment of the registration fee is received.
- Payments will be fully refunded if the conference is cancelled by the organiser. In that case, the organiser will have no further liability to the client. Registrations remain valid if the conference has to be postponed.
- The fee for the Summer School 2023 for students currently living in a High GDP country is 308 € for a shared room and 473 € for a single room. The fee for students currently living in a Low GDP country is 209 € for a shared room and 374 € for a single room. The cost for local students (no accomodation or breakfast) is 165 €. (to be confirmed)
- The summer school programme may be subject to change.
- Please register and pay by 15 April. In case of cancellation, you will get 50 % of your fees refunded if you cancel up to 1 month prior to the Summer School. If you cancel later than one month before Summer School begin, your fee will not be refunded.
CALL FOR EERSS 2023
To apply: https://www.conftool.net/eerss2023/
Application period: from 15 November 2022 to 31 January 2023
EERSS 2023 DATES
- Applications: 15 November 2022 – 31 January 2023
- Information on acceptance: 1 March 2023
- Registration/Payment: 2 March – 15 April 2023
- Summer School: 26–30 June 2023
University of Porto
Filipa César, eera_summerschool(at)fpce.up.pt
Doretta Dow, dow(at)eera.eu